PCA MAJOR PROGRAMS & PROJECTS
In line with the corporate priorities and in pursuit of the sustainable development of a globally competitive coconut and other oil palm industry, PCA shall vigorously implement the following programs and projects in support of PCA's Coconut Industry Development Roadmap.
Rehabilitation thru Fertilization (Salt Fertilization)
National Coconut Planting/Replanting (Participatory Coconut Planting Program)
- Aimed at fertilizing fruit-bearing coconut trees using common salt or sodium chloride (NaCl) to increase coconut productivity and improve coco resistance to pest and diseases.
Maintenance of Coconut Seedfarm/Seedgarden.
- Coconut planting and replanting hectares using open pollinated varieties (OPVs) in identified idle open areas suitable for coconut planting, and in area where senile coconut trees are cut in accordance with the implementation of RA 8048.
- Maintenance of seedgardens are continuously being operated/undertaken in support of the long-term coconut planting/replanting program of the Authority.
Farm Diversification (Intercropping)
- Involves the continuing build-up of coconut cooperatives and coconut farmers organizations to enable the coconut farmers to become self-reliant producers and entrepreneurs towards the ultimate goal of self-empowerment to uplift their standard of living.
Kasaganahan Sa Niyugan ay Kaunlaran ng Bayan (KAANIB)
- This involves the growing of short season and high value crops in between spaces of coconut trees such as corn, peanut, banana, cacao, coffee, pineapple, among others.
- This project seeks to promote coconut-based farming system as a lucrative agribusiness venture.
Market Development Services
- This involves the participation in trade fairs/exhibits and conduct of missions, market match, industry dialogues to promote coconut products, both in local and foreign markets.
Research and Development
Varietal Improvement involves continuing researches on breeding and genetics, tissue culture and biotechnology.
Bio-Technology/Tissue Culture involves continuing researches on the aforementioned to improve techniques for incremental productivity. This include embryo culture, germplasm exchange, cryo preservation and apply these bio-technological measures for better coconut varieties.
Crop Agronomy, Nutrition and Farming Systems involves ongoing studies on mineral nutrition (MN), integrated soil fertility management under CBFS and sustainable cropping systems (SCS).
Integrated Crop Protection is concerned with studies on the development of integrated pest management strategies for the control of Oryctes rhinoceros, slug caterpillar, phytophthora, weed management in coconut and the use of botanical biocides for the control of major pests of coconut and intercrops.
Product Development involves ongoing researches and studies to lessen the industry's dependence on traditional coconut products and develop new coconut products and thereby broaden domestic and foreign exchange revenues.
Special Projects involves ongoing researches and studies to develop alternative uses of existing coconut resources, coconut technology, and coconut by-products.
Strict implementation of RA 8048, otherwise known as Coconut Preservation Act of 1995.
Registration of coconut products/by products traders/dealers, manufacturers and processors.
Quality standard for high-value coconut products and by-products for export and referential purposes.
||© 2012. All Right Reserved
Philippine Coconut Authority
Elliptical Road, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines