STUDY PROVES THAT VIRGIN COCONUT OIL (VCO) INTAKE IS GOOD FOR THE BODY
Agriculture Secretary Proceso J. Alcala has announced that overall result of the four - month clinical study on the 'Effect of Virgin Coconut Oil (VCO) on Human with Emphasis on Cholesterol' conducted by the University of Santo Tomas Research Team showed that VCO intake is good for the body.
Secretary Alcala said that the Philippine Coconut Authority sponsored the study as a means to resolve conflicting outcomes of various studies on the effect of VCO on serum Cholesterol.
The Secretary said that the findings of the research team headed by Dr. Christina A. Binag revealed that although VCO intake showed an increase in Total Cholesterol - evident in the study were the reductions in Triglycerides and Very Low Density Lipoprotein (VLDL or bad cholesterol) and elevation of High Density Lipoprotein (HDL or good cholesterol) which can be translated to making the individual less prone to heart attack or stroke.
Secretary Alcala said that the team's report showed that the trial was conducted among 189 Filipinos without or with only one risk factor of hypertension but controlled and no other clinically significant abnormalities was present. They were divided into two groups where both the investigators and subjects were not aware who among them were taking VCO. The study was placebo - controlled where one group - (110 participants, 60%) was taking VCO, and the other group (79 participants, 40%) was taking only placebo or a drug resembling VCO but with no effect. No change in lipid profile was noted in the placebo group.
He said that the team's report also revealed positive experiences of the volunteers in the VCO group for the whole duration of the study like: regular bowel movement, increase in appetite, increased body stamina and good sleep. It was interesting observation that 13% of the VCO takers experienced becoming sexually active in the whole duration of their participation in the VCO study. The VCO group likewise registered negative experiences like : having soft bowel, stomach ache, sweating/ feeling warm and nausea.
The report showed that other parameters were likewise affected by VCO. Increases in Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS) and SGPT could be attributed to VCO due to its high caloric equivalent and liver metabolism, respectively. Unexplained rise in creatinine was seen but still within normal range. Elevations in Free Thyroid 3 (FT3) and Free Thyroid 4 (FT4) were noted due to enhanced thyroid function. And no change was noted with BMI and weight.
Secretary Alcala commended the other members of the research team composed of: Dr. Alvin P. Ang, Dr. Jovencio G. Apostol, Dr. Evelina N. Lagamayo, Dr. Raymund Gabriel A. Naranjilla, Dr. Librado A. Santiago, Ma. Carmelita F. Santos and Gudelia R. Jimenez. He also thanked the Philippine Coconut Authority for initiating the move for the conduct of the medical study on VCO.
Secretary Alcala expressed satisfaction with the positive result of the clinical study which is clear proof that the positive anecdotal experiences of VCO takers can now be supported by medical evidence. This positive result will renew interest in VCO and increase the demand for VCO. The coconut farmers and the coconut industry stand to benefit from this good news.
COCONUT MEDIA SERVICE
||© 2012. All Right Reserved
Philippine Coconut Authority
Elliptical Road, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines